Queens, NY — Commonpoint Queens – formerly known as the Samuel Field Y and Central Queens Y – partnered with Ponce Bank to prepare and package “cook at home” dishes for families in need for Thanksgiving. The project provided 200 packages each with three fully-prepped ready-to-cook Thanksgiving side dishes to homebound seniors, single-parent households, and other community members in need this holiday.
This was one of the organization’s several special projects to provide meals for the holiday, including deliveries to 150 families enrolled in their program at Martin Van Buren High School.
Commonpoint Queens CEO, Danielle Ellman said, “We thank Ponce Bank for their support of our efforts to meet the needs of community members in need. We are very grateful for their support and acknowledgment of the importance of our mission and efforts to serve the community during this pandemic. Because of their support more than 150 individuals and families will have enough to eat this Thanksgiving.”
Commonpoint Queens’ food pantry at 108-13 67th Road, Forest Hills 11375 is open Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 2:00 pm, date of birth and driver’s license or non-driver id number required.
The Pantry at the Tanenbaum Family Pool, 58-25 Little Neck Pkwy, Little Neck, NY 11362 is open Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Additionally, Commonpoint Queens now has a THIRD food pantry at The Hub, the agency’s workforce initiative with UJA-Federation of New York, which is located at 77-17 Queens Boulevard, Elmhurst, NY 11373. The Hub is open Monday through Friday with walk-in hours from 10:00am to 3:00pm.
For more information about Commonpoint Queens’ supportive programming visit www.CommonpointQueens.org.
Additional Services Include:
- People in need of assistance can call (929) 255-6060 Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm or complete their online emergency assistance form at https://www.commonpointqueens.
- Telephone support and check-in calls for vulnerable populations
- Social phone calls for isolated older New Yorkers
Remote learning and virtual
- ESOL classes
- Fitness activities for individuals, older adults, children, and people with developmental disabilities
- Arts programming
- HSE and Pre-HSE classes
- Digital Literacy classes
- Vocational Training classes
- Academic Support: Tutoring, homework assistance, academic engagement, and conferences to support both students and parents during remote learning.
- Job Placement and Career Assistance.
- Work Readiness/Career Exploration: Hard & Soft Employment skill workshops, Financial Literacy, Resume Development, Career Exploration.
More About Commonpoint Queens
Commonpoint Queens is a social services organization that meets the diverse and evolving needs in the borough of Queens —a place where people of all ages and backgrounds come together to find support, access opportunities, and build connections to the community throughout their lives. To learn more, go to www.commonpointqueens.org.