The Allied Health Training and Job Placement program through the Commonpoint Queens Employment Hub offers FREE programs that prepares adults facing barriers to employment for secure and stable careers. Programs are currently held at the Access Institute in Kew Gardens or virtually.
Our programs provide critical healthcare and professional skills students need to thrive in the allied health industry.
Fall 2020 program offerings at the Access Institute (80-02 Kew Gardens Road, Kew Gardens NY 11415) include:
- EKG/Phlebotomy: An EKG Technician, or a Cardiovascular Technician, is an integral part of the management of patients with heart disease. Phlebotomy Technicians collect blood samples from patients via venipuncture or micro techniques. The Phlebotomy Tech facilitates the collection and transportation of laboratory specimens and is often the patient’s only contact with the medical lab. This is a 6 week on-site program beginning Monday, September 21 and Monday, October 12 running Monday to Thursday from 10am to 2pm.
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA): A Certified Nursing Assistant provides assistance to patients with daily living tasks and is responsible for basic care services. This is a 7 week program beginning Monday, September 28 running Monday to Thursday from 11am to 3pm.
- Pharmacy Technician: The Pharmacy Technician, also called a Pharmacy Tech or Pharmacy Assistant, usually performs routine tasks to help prepare prescribed medication for patients, such as counting tablets and labeling bottles. This is a 7 week on-site program beginning Monday, October 12 running Monday to Thursday from 5pm to 9pm.
Virtual Fall 2020 program offerings include:
- Medical Billing: Students get an overview of medical insurance; learn coding procedures, and insurance billing procedures. Students also learn through computerized billing simulations how to create, save, retrieve, edit, and maintain patient files. This is a 6 week virtual program beginning Saturday, October 10 running Saturdays and Sundays from 10am to 5pm.
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA): Offered in partnership with LaGuardia Community College. Administrative medical assistants perform clerical work in doctors’ and hospital offices. It is their responsibility to keep all patient files organized and to maintain the front office. This is a 10 week virtual program beginning Monday, October 19 running Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2pm to 6pm.
For more information, please contact Teneka Hardy at [email protected]. If you are interested in any of these programs, please fill out the form below.