The Sam Field Older Adult Center for people over the age of 60 is a warm and inclusive older adult center offering a variety of social, recreational, educational programs, for all older members of our community. While focusing on continuing growth and enrichment, we also provide an opportunity for older adults to enjoy the company of their peers. This program is funded by the New York City Department for the Aging.
- A variety of stimulating classes and courses
- Case assistance, telephone reassurance, and information and referrals
- Small discussion groups led by qualified leaders
- Special interest groups
- Once a month LGBTQ social group
- Occasional evening events and workshops
- Bereavement groups
- Various special events and performances throughout the year
- Explore your inner artist in professionally facilitated classes such as drawing & sketching, and oil painting.
Sam’s Older Adult Cafe, our individually-plated lunch program, serves Kosher meals to people over 60 years old, and operates from 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM on weekdays. There is a suggested contribution of $2.50.
For more information about Sam’s Older Adult Cafe, including volunteer opportunities, please email Fern Prusak at [email protected]tqueens.org or call (718) 225-6750 ext. 233.
Health and Wellness Department Our health, wellness and recreation staff is dedicated to developing individualized plans of health maintenance and wellness activities for our older adults. Classes offered include Stretching, Balance, Tai Chi, Classic Aerobics, Zumba, and Chair Exercise among others. Click here for our schedule.
Here are a few of our upcoming programs/events. Please note that many of these programs are run via ZOOM and pre-registration is REQUIRED. The program’s zoom link and telephone option will be provided at the time of registration. For more information and to register, contact Fern Prusak at [email protected] or call (718) 225-6750 ext. 233, or Roberta Landau at [email protected] or by calling (718) 225-6750 ext. 222.
COMMONPOINT QUEENS OLDER ADULT ZOOM PROGRAMS FOR November/December 2022
- DANCE WITH MARI MEADE – 11:00 AM every Monday
- MIND AEROBICS WITH FERN – 1:00 PM every Tuesday
- Julliard Performance – Wednesday, November 30 and Monday, December 5 at 11:00 AM.
- Emergency Preparedness: Tuesday, December 13, 12:30pm. A potentially lifesaving presentation that teaches important steps to prepare for emergencies, before they happen, and more
COMMONPOINT QUEENS OLDER ADULT IN-PERSON PROGRAMS NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2022
PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED FOR ALL IN-PERSON EVENTS. Email Fern Prusak at [email protected] or call (718) 225-6750 ext. 233, or Roberta Landau at [email protected] or by calling (718) 225-6750 ext. 222.
- NEW! HEADLINES AND HOT TOPICS with Wendy – Mondays from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM. starting November 21
- ISRAELI FOLK DANCING – Mondays from 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM. Honey will teach basic Israeli dances, and the dance steps that are used. The dances will include circle and line styles, both old and new.
- NEW! ART HISTORY with Marie Zanzal – Once a month on Wednesday from 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM. Nov 9 and Dec 10.
- Hebrew Ulpan: Thursdays, from 10:00 to 11:30 am. For beginners through advanced students.
- Scams Targeting Older Adults: Thursday, November 17, 1:30pm. Police Officer Ferraris from the 111th Precinct will present information about scams targeting older adults in our community.
- Thanksgiving Celebration: Tuesday, November 22, 11:00am. Have a holiday meal and chat with old and new friends.
- Nutrition with Neda – Thursday, December 1 from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. “Healthy ways to get more protein in our diet”.
- STAR (Senior Theatre Acting Repertory) – “Young at Heart” older adults, who have been bringing award-winning comedy, drama and song to audiences in Queens and beyond. Wednesday, December 7, 1:30pm
- ELDER ABUSE PRESENTATION – What is Elder Abuse & Neglect? Presented by Joshua Rotkin from JASA Thursday, December 8 from 11am – 12pm
For more information about the Sam Field Older Adult Center, please email Fern Prusak at [email protected] or call (718) 225-6750 ext. 233, or Roberta Landau at [email protected] or by calling (718) 225-6750 ext. 222.
We also have the following programs for older adults:
- Dementia Care Programs + Support Groups
- Naturally Occurring Retirement Centers in the following communities: Deepdale (Deepdale CARES), Whitestone (Clearview Assistance Program) and Floral Park/New Hyde Park/Glen Oaks/Bellerose (NORC WOW).
- A Geriatric Mental Health Clinic
You can also get more information about our Older Adult programs in Forest Hills!