*Click here for the Commonpoint Queens Older Adult Center March + April 2023 Newsletter*
The Sam Field Older Adult Center for people over the age of 60 is a warm and inclusive older adult center offering a variety of social, recreational, educational programs, for all older members of our community. While focusing on continuing growth and enrichment, we also provide an opportunity for older adults to enjoy the company of their peers. This program is funded by the New York City Department for the Aging.
- A variety of stimulating classes and courses
- Case assistance, telephone reassurance, and information and referrals
- Small discussion groups led by qualified leaders
- Special interest groups
- Bereavement groups
- Various special events and performances throughout the year
- Explore your inner artist in professionally facilitated classes such as drawing & sketching, and oil painting.
Sam’s Older Adult Cafe, our individually-plated lunch program, serves Kosher meals to people over 60 years old, and operates from 11:45 AM to 12:45 PM on weekdays. There is a suggested contribution of $2.50.
For more information about Sam’s Older Adult Cafe, including volunteer opportunities, please email Fern Prusak at [email protected] or call (718) 225-6750 ext. 233.
Health and Wellness Department Our health, wellness and recreation staff is dedicated to developing individualized plans of health maintenance and wellness activities for our older adults. Classes offered include Stretching, Balance, Tai Chi, Classic Aerobics, and Chair Yoga among others. Click here for our schedule.
Here are a few of our upcoming programs/events. Please note that many of these programs are run via ZOOM and pre-registration is REQUIRED. The program’s zoom link and telephone option will be provided at the time of registration. For more information and to register, contact Fern Prusak at [email protected] or call (718) 225-6750 ext. 233, or Roberta Landau at [email protected] or by calling (718) 225-6750 ext. 222.
COMMONPOINT QUEENS OLDER ADULT ZOOM PROGRAMS FOR MARCH/APRIL 2023
- DANCE WITH MARI MEADE – 11:00 AM every Monday
- MIND AEROBICS WITH FERN – 1:00 PM every Tuesday
- Myths and Misconceptions: Colorectal Cancer in Older Adults – Wednesday, March 15, 11:00 am. Dr. Mehraneh Dorna Jafari and Dr. Ilan Weisberg of New York-Presbyterian and Weil Cornell Medicine will discuss Cancer prevention, Diagnosis and treatment of Colorectal Cancer, and New innovations in surgery
- Please Put Away the Ibuprofen: Pain Management in Older Adults – Thursday, March 23, 1:00 pm. Dr. Caitlin Kuwata, Assistant Professor of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital will discuss pain evaluation in older adults, common pain medications and their side effects, and the role of physical therapy in treating back pain.
COMMONPOINT QUEENS OLDER ADULT IN-PERSON PROGRAMS MARCH/APRIL 2023
PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED FOR ALL IN-PERSON EVENTS. Email Fern Prusak at [email protected] or call (718) 225-6750 ext. 233, or Roberta Landau at [email protected] or by calling (718) 225-6750 ext. 222.
- HEADLINES AND HOT TOPICS with Wendy – Mondays from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM.
- ISRAELI FOLK DANCING – Mondays from 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM. Honey will teach basic Israeli dances, and the dance steps that are used. The dances will include circle and line styles, both old and new.
- NEW! SUPPORT GROUP FOR THOSE LIVING WITH HEART DISEASE – 6 week support group beginning April 27 from 1-2pm. Facilitated by Marjorie Goldstein, LCSW.
- ART HISTORY with Marie Zanzal – Once a month on Wednesday from 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM. March 8 and April 12
- BOOK CLUB – Once a month on Wednesday from 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM.
March 15 “The Warmth of Other Suns” by Isabel Wilkerson
April 19 “All The Ways We Said Goodbye“ by Beatriz Williams, Lauren Willie, Karen White
- NEW! WALK WITH EASE – Wednesdays beginning May 3 from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. A self-directed exercise program for those with arthritis that can reduce pain and improve overall health.
- BINGO – Once a month on Wednesday from 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM. March 22
- Hebrew Ulpan: Thursdays, from 10:00 to 11:30 am. For beginners through advanced students.
- NEW! Men’s Forum with Wendy – Fridays from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. Get together with your peers at Sam Field to discuss common interests, experiences, and memories
- Goin’ Green Celebration: Thursday, March 16, 12:00pm. Lunch and Musical Entertainment with Joe Pace
- Passover Seder: Monday, April 3, 11:30am. Have a Seder meal and find the Afikoman
- Music with Henry Charles: Tuesday, April 18, 10:30am. Enjoy music and lunch
- Interactive Workshop: There’s an Oil for That – Wednesday, April 26 from 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM. Independent Wellness Advocates from dōTERRA®, Cheryl Paris and Regina Mendoza, will awaken all of your senses as they share the natural healing benefits of pure essential oils
For more information about the Sam Field Older Adult Center, please email Fern Prusak at [email protected] or call (718) 225-6750 ext. 233, or Roberta Landau at [email protected] or by calling (718) 225-6750 ext. 222.
We also have the following programs for older adults:
- Dementia Care Programs + Support Groups
- Naturally Occurring Retirement Centers in the following communities: Deepdale (Deepdale CARES), Whitestone (Clearview Assistance Program) and Floral Park/New Hyde Park/Glen Oaks/Bellerose (NORC WOW).
- A Geriatric Mental Health Clinic
You can also get more information about our Older Adult programs in Forest Hills!