Voting Assistance for Seniors in the 2020 Election
We are offering assistance to seniors to ensure their vote gets counted. Volunteers will help with the completion of forms over the phone, voter registration, requesting an absentee ballot, completing an absentee ballot, and even picking up completed ballots to deliver them safely to their polling place. If you’re interested in helping, click here.
Our Food Pantries in Forest Hills and Little Neck are open and supplying food for our community. Volunteers can help in Forest Hills Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm or in Little Neck from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm. We need help preparing grocery packages, stocking shelves, and distributing packages to those in need. Sign up for a timeslot through our volunteer portal.
As an extension of our Food Pantry during COVID-19, we are delivering packages of groceries to homebound individuals. Deliveries are made on Mondays through Friday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm. Items are picked up from the Sam Field Center in Little Neck at the Tanenbaum Family Pool entrance. Volunteers need access to a vehicle and are recommended to bring a friend or family member to help. Please email [email protected] if you would like to help!
Bring donations to our Food Pantry locations for curbside and contact-free drop-off Monday through Friday, between 9:00 am and 2:00 pm at:
Forest Hills: 108-13 67th Road, Forest Hills, NY 11375 (718-268-5011 ext. 433)
Little Neck: 58-20 Little Neck Parkway, Little Neck, NY 11362 (718-225-6750 ext. 345)
All food items must be: Non-Perishable, Kosher, New, and Unexpired
Item Examples: Pasta, Rice, Beans, Cereal, Shelf-stable beverages, Canned Items
Messages of Gratitude
Tell the isolated seniors in our community how appreciated they are during this time. Write an uplifting letter or draw a picture, and mail to Volunteer Services at Commonpoint Queens Sam Field Center (58-20 Little Neck Parkway, Little Neck, NY 11362). We look forward to sharing these messages of gratitude with seniors in our community!
Garden of Gratitude
Collect small rocks from your yard and paint or decorate them with a message of gratitude. Add your decorated rock to our Garden of Gratitude in front of our Forest Hills Food Pantry 108-13 67th Road, Forest Hills, NY 11375.
Volunteer Your Garden
Willing to donate a portion of your crop to your neighbors in need? You can donate the produce from your garden, your farm, or a planter on your balcony. Please email [email protected]
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
COVID-19 Safety Precautions
A note from Commonpoint Queens to Volunteers:
We are aware that the spread of coronavirus is causing concern. Our priority, as always, is to ensure that everyone has the most up to date advice and the support they need and that their health is not put at risk. With that in mind, please discuss any specific health concerns you have with your healthcare provider. They will be able to give you advice and information which takes into account your specific circumstances.
Commonpoint Queens is following the CDC’s guidelines for hygiene and disease prevention.
We ask volunteers, participants, and staff to take the following precautions to keep everyone healthy and protected:
Clean your hands often
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
Avoid close contact
- We ask anyone over the age of 65 to remain home and continue with volunteer opportunities once health conditions allow.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Put at least 6 feet of distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community. This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.
Cover coughs and sneezes
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Throw used tissues in the trash.
- Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, clean your hands with a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
Thank you- Your Commonpoint Queens Family
You can also support all of our programs by making a donation to Commonpoint Queens. Thank you for all of your support!
Are you from a company or large group interested in bringing your employees to Commonpoint Queens for a meaningful volunteer experience? Contact Amy Gaffney at 718-225-6750 ext. 238 or email [email protected].