Food Pantry March 11 & 27
We are in urgent need of volunteers at our Central Queens Food Pantry in Forest Hills March 11 and 27 from 9am-2pm for our Passover delivery. We need help stocking shelves, putting together packages, and dispersing produce and packages to those in need at our food pantry in Forest Hills. Please register through CERVIS below.
Soccer Stars begins March 5
This program pairs teen mentors with children with developmental disabilities ages 5-21, and is a great way for children to socialize with their peers while learning social skills and sports weekly on Thursdays. This is a great opportunity for high school and college-aged participants who need to fulfill volunteer hours for their schools. Please contact contact Natalie Palermo at [email protected] to volunteer.
People with Special Needs
Have a passion for working with children of different populations? Volunteer your time to teach the children in our programs a craft, musical skill, game, cooking, or much more! Be creative with your own talents to help teach the youth in our community.
- Design and implement a community-based fundraiser- choose your cause, scholarship fund or project for cause and we will assist you with the fundraising.
- Run food drive, special event, coordinate programs (experienced required)
- Volunteer with your agency
Volunteer Opportunities for Teenagers
- Basketball Buddies/ Soccer Stars/Karate Kids – Volunteer to be a “Coach” to a specific Buddy during one of these amazing programs. Work in a one-on-one setting with a child with special needs to help them learn basic and introductory skills in basketball, soccer, and karate. This opportunity requires the volunteer to commit to an orientation as well as the ten sessions which the program will run for.
- Teen council
- Teen summer volunteer opportunities
- Junior council
Work with Seniors
- Alzheimer’s respite program and early stage program-assist in hands on activities with art projects, word games, music, and singing.
- Lead an enrichment, educational, exercise or discussion group for seniors
- Lead enrichment, educational, exercise or discussion group through our virtual senior center e.g. – painting, music, cooking, science, history, Yiddish.
- Medical advice to seniors- must be within the medical field e.g. Nurses, therapists (occupational, physical, speech, psychotherapist), doctors, nutritionists
- Sam’s Cafe- serve food to senior at our senior lunch program
- Caring calls- friendly visiting and telephone reassurance to isolated seniors
- Teach computers to seniors and/or set computer up for seniors in their home
Work with Children
- Volunteer in preschool at Sam Field Center (mornings only)
- Homework help for after school program
Work with Teens
- After School tutoring
Work with Women in Domestic Violence
- Cell phone drive- collect cell phones
- Create safety backpacks
Work with Individuals Who Are Unemployed or Seeing Career Services
- Conduct a workshop on assisting with finding employment
- Conduct workshop on creating own business
- Conduct workshop or series workshops that train individuals to change careers e.g. real estate, stock
Work in the Office
- Become a volunteer office assistant and play a crucial role in the day to day operations of our programs supporting people in need.
- Teach computers (Microsoft programs, social media, graphics, QuickBooks, ebay)
- Volunteer to interview for mock interview
- Edit and correct resume
- ESL teachers (especially Asian languages)
- Be a career mentor
- Scoreboard keeper- assist with score board for men’s, women’s and teens basketball league
- Love gardening? You can volunteer from your own garden by growing produce to donate to our Central Queens food pantry.
Engage: Age With Purpose (Senior Volunteer Opportunities)
UJA-Federation of New York’s Engage Service Corps is for boomers and beyond who want to effect powerful change within the community through hands-on activities. This new model of volunteering is perfect for the generation of game changers looking to reshape society at every stage of their lives.
Through Engage, you can use your skills, expertise, passion and leadership to address issues such as poverty, hunger, joblessness, education, the isolated elderly, and children with special needs – in a way that fits into your life.
Become part of a community of like-minded people who want to find real solutions to real problems.To apply to be an Engage Volunteer, you can click here. For more information, please feel free to reach out to Judy Vladimir, Senior Director of Development, 718-225-6750 ext. 345, [email protected] or Amy Gaffney, Development Assistant, 718-225-6750 ext. 238, [email protected]
Are you passionate about volunteering? So are we.
Tap into what moves you most — poverty, aging, the environment, nearly any cause you can name, really — and we’ll help you move forward.
And with your help, we’ll reach our goal of one million hours of service.
Now’s the time.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
Are you from a company or large group interested in bringing your employees to Commonpoint Queens for a meaningful volunteer experience? Contact Amy Gaffney at 718-225-6750 ext. 238 or email [email protected].