Commonpoint Queens Ladders for Leaders Program – Frequently Asked Questions
What is NYC Ladders for Leaders?
NYC Ladders for Leaders is a college and career readiness program offering New York City high school and college students professional paid summer internships, career guidance, and leadership development workshops.
Who are our participants?
Anyone with prior work experience (paid or volunteer) who is:
- A permanent resident of one of the five boroughs of New York City
- 16 to 21 years of age
- A current high school (sophomore and up) or college student
- Legally allowed to work in New York
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA
How is an applicant being evaluated?
Application is being scored and evaluated based on the following:
- Essay questions
How long is the summer internship?
The program typically starts the first week in July and participants work 25-40 hours per week for a minimum of 6 weeks. However, many employers have extended offers to their interns to continue on past the 6 weeks.
Are the internships paid?
All internships are paid and the salaries are set at employer’s discretion at New York State minimum wage or higher.
Do employers have the opportunity to interview participants?
Many employers conduct interviews with the participants and make final selection decisions. Students are referred to employers based on their needs and participants’ skills and interests.
How have other employers developed their internship program for our participants?
Our partners provide interns with meaningful and supervised work experiences including but not limited to the following:
- Incorporating Ladders interns into existing summer internship programs
- Assigning special projects in addition to day to day responsibilities
- Exposing their interns to client meetings, participating in a department-wide activities, field trips, and team building opportunities
- Provide opportunities for interns to hold informational interviews with Senior Managers
- Provide administrative support to their assigned departments
We really appreciate your support of Commonpoint Queens and our participants in the program. We hope for yet another successful summer this year.