Commonpoint Queens’ mission is to sustain and enhance the quality of family and individual life for all members of our community, regardless of religion, ethnic or cultural background, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual preference, age, or disability, within a pervasive and inclusive environment that facilitates individual growth, meets individual needs and builds community. We accomplish this mission through a broad range of social, educational, and recreational services that reach community members of all ages and backgrounds. We welcome you to come work with us, and in turn help contribute to our greater Queens community.
Director of Education, Adult Workforce
Commonpoint Queens is seeking to hire a Director of Education for the Advance & Earn Program. The goal of the Advance & Earn Program is to provide a career pathway for opportunity youth through a continuum of services including literacy and math instruction, HSE test preparation, work readiness training, college and career exploration, paid work experience, advanced occupational training and industry credential attainment. The program supports opportunity youth at any educational level, providing on-ramps at various levels through three program components, each supported by case management and wrap-around services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Education will:
- Lead a team of Pre-HSE, HSE, Work Readiness, and ABE Instructors in curriculum planning, development, and lesson planning.
- Develop curricula as per the needs of participants including, but not limited to: basic educational skills, TASC test preparation, work readiness, and basic MOS (Microsoft Office suite) credential instruction.
- Support their team in meeting program educational goals and outcomes for participants.
- Provide assessments and reports as necessary and provide individual feedback to students to ensure their success.
- Collaborating with support staff to meet participation and retention goals.
- Supervise classes and coaching Instructors to improve program quality.
- Develop and implement instructor training and professional development opportunities.
- Participation in regular staff and program planning meetings
- Attend educational trainings and educational network meetings in order to apply new teaching strategies and techniques using technological platforms.
- Instruct HSE and ABE classes when necessary.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters degree preferred
- 3+ years successful experience providing literacy and/or numeracy instruction and selecting/adapting curricula resources for opportunity youth
- 3+ years in program management
- Demonstrate cultural competency through familiarity in working with people from a very diverse number of backgrounds.
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Director of Education” in the subject line.
Engagement Specialist, High School and College Success
Within our framework of a holistic, strength-focused, and family-supported practice, an individual hired as Engagement Specialist will report directly to the Senior Director, High School and College Success.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Mental Health Counseling, Social Work, or related course of study required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Experience with attendance improvement and school engagement strategies for chronically absent youth.
- At least three (3) years’ experience working with adolescents in an urban environment providing services that reduce barriers and facilitate educational success and social emotional wellbeing.
- At least three (3) years’ experience managing a caseload effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to establish strong rapport with an urban adolescent population and their families.
- Comfort in conducting home visits as needed
- Knowledge of community referrals and the ability to connect families with resources to help overcome barriers to success.
- Familiarity with NYS high school graduation requirements and experience with the college application and financial aid application processes.
- Provide individual and small group counseling to students on a weekly basis
- Conduct daily student attendance outreach and prepare reports for the program staff.
- Conduct home visits to disengaged students and those identified as chronically absent with the intention of increasing attendance and removing barriers to success.
- Provide outreach to students and their families, including phone calls, written correspondence, and home visits.
- Facilitates communication between students, families, and school staff.
- Timely completion of required documentation for clinical, evaluation and funding purposes.
- Provides crisis counseling, conflict mediation and social-emotional support.
- Support and facilitate chronic absent student exposure to program and school opportunities (high school and college); build college and work readiness skills.
- Participate in staff meetings, case conferences and staff development opportunities.
- Organize and lead the program attendance team meetings, including meetings with school personnel to ensure a
- cohesive service delivery and successful partnership.
- Collaborate on interdisciplinary teams of Commonpoint Queens staff and school staff to create individual plans to support student progress around chronic absence.
- Occasional weekend hours and evening required.
General Tasks of Commonpoint Queens Staff
- Promote and implement the Core Values of the Community Center.
- Participation in all staff meetings and staff training seminars.
- Participation in agency-wide programs and program committees, as assigned.
- Active involvement, as a supervisee, in the supervision process.
- Support the mission of Commonpoint Queens
- Other tasks appropriate to the Commonpoint Queensstaff, as assigned.
Commonpoint Queens reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Commonpoint Queens is an equal opportunity employers/program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and résumé, as a Word or PDF document only, to [email protected]. Please indicate “Engagement Specialist” in the subject line. Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Food Pantry Coordinator
The Food Pantry Coordinator at Commonpoint Queens oversees and coordinates our digital Kosher food pantry. This includes managing the delivery and distribution of weekly bulk food and produce as well as large scale holiday distributions. The coordinator is responsible for managing the ordering, receipt, storage, and distribution of kosher food from Met Council. The coordinator will provide oversight and guidance of pantry operations, supervising part-time staff and volunteers, registering clients and maintaining client databases, and providing monthly statistics and reports as required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assisting with pantry operations including receiving products, inputting items into the digital system, updating the digital menu, organizing and rotating inventory and product storage.
- Handle weekly food ordering from Met Council and maintain appropriate inventory levels
- Oversee the breakdown of bulk products, maintaining an orderly, clean and safe environment.
- Ensure proper refrigeration and temperature control of frozen/temperature sensitive items.
- Coordinate and supervise the volunteer team during delivery and distribution.
- Maintain client database and provide monthly statistics and reports.
- Enforce food distribution policies and procedures, while maintaining a high-quality service delivery
- Client registration and intake as necessary. Data entry and updating client records.
- Manage High Holiday and Passover deliveries and distributions, to ensure purchasing, scheduling, and distributions are executed seamlessly.
- Ensure correct and accurate data is captured and reported for the network of poundage and clients served.
- Support site visits to and from network agencies, donors, and partners as needed.
- Able to lift at least 50 pounds, stack and load (on and off a truck and pallets) cartons, boxes and other food containers with or without accommodations.
- Should be well organized, respond well to supervision and be able to work independently
Skill And Education
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 3-5 years of equivalent management experience
- Knowledge of kashrut law
- Basic computer and data entry skills required
- Bilingual in Spanish, Farsi or Russian a plus, but not required
- Must be culturally sensitive and able to work with a multicultural client/customer population
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Food Pantry Coordinator” in the subject line.
Social Worker for Opportunity Youth, Adult Workforce
Commonpoint Queens is seeking to hire a Social Worker for Opportunity Youth. The goal of the Opportunity Youth Programs at Commonpoint Queens is to provide a career pathway for opportunity youth through a continuum of services including literacy and math instruction, HSE test preparation, work readiness training, college and career exploration, paid work experience, advanced occupational training and industry credential attainment. The programs support opportunity youth at any educational level, providing on-ramps at various levels through three program components, each supported by case management and wrap-around services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Social Worker will:
- Provide comprehensive mental health assessments, individual, and group counseling to program participants.
- Provide crisis intervention when necessary, appropriate referrals, and home visits when needed.
- Facilitate workshops on mental health for both staff and participants.
- Maintain effective communication and rapport with participants, staff, and support systems.
- Conduct care coordination with outside treatment providers/referrals with the goal of improving participants well being and progress.
- Collaborate with support staff to address the individual needs of participants.
- Offer and provide continued case review to support case managers with high-risk cases.
- Provide outside long term referrals when necessary
- Supervise social work interns and case managers.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Masters Degree required. LCSW, LMSW, or LMHC
- 3+ years of social work experience with opportunity youth
- Demonstrated ability in youth development
- SIFI certification preferred
- Demonstrate cultural competency through familiarity in working with people from a very diverse number of backgrounds.
- Prior supervisory experience
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Brynn McCormick at [email protected] with the subject “Social Worker for Opportunity Youth”
Assistant, SONYC After School Program
The Program Assistant of our SONYC after-school program supports our Program Director in providing diverse high quality after school programming for middle school aged youth, from sixth to eighth grade. The right candidate will have a passion for working with youth, have strong communication and interpersonal skills, time management skills, computer skills, and be able to handle multiple tasks. Reporting to the Program Director, the Program Assistant will carry out the responsibilities of the position as defined below.
- Advise the Director on program development and updates.
- Provide coaching, support and assistance for program staff.
- Ensure proper implementation of programming, including activities, student participation, supervision of youth and staff, maintaining safe spaces.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with staff, youth, parents, school and neighboring community.
- Assist in planning and implementing youth development programming including but not limited to schedules, activities, and team based projects.
- Attend staff meetings and professional development trainings.
- Strong leadership and management skills and the ability to motivate and support members of a team.
- Data input and knowledge of DYCD Connect systems preferred
- Experience and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Social Work, or other relevant subject preferred
- Experience working with youth in an educational setting.
- Willingness to submit to and pass criminal, child protection, and sexual registry background check.
Start: March 2019
Hours: Monday-Friday, 2 pm-6:30 pm. Hours and days may vary depending on school closings.
Location: Forest Hills, NY
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and résumé to [email protected]. Please indicate “SONYC After-School Program Assistant” in the subject line of the email. We will contact only those candidates who meet our criteria in order to arrange an interview.
Career Services Assistant
Commonpoint Queens Central Queens in Forest Hills is looking for a Career Services Assistant. The candidate will provide career guidance to students at CUNY colleges, and assist with coordination and administrative support for career-related and scholarship programs that serve high school and college students. The selected candidate will work on-site within Hillel Clubs at CUNY colleges and at Commonpoint Queens Central Queens in Forest Hills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist students 1:1 with resumes, cover letters, interview preparation, internship applications, etc
- Assist with planning and coordinating career-related events
- Assist with event marketing and promoting career services and events through flyers and posting on social media websites
- Coordinate and track scholarship processing including verbal and written communication with students and financial aid offices
- Assist with coordination of two technology training courses, including scheduling, tracking attendance, and assisting instructors
- Communicate with professional mentors and students to track mentoring relationships
- Post career tips and professional opportunities to social media sites
- Administrative duties including entering and updating student data and meeting information, collecting, tracking and organizing student information/documents; drafting routine correspondence
- Bachelor’s Degree; current graduate student or recent graduate.
- Experience providing individual and group career counseling services, specifically resume support
- Experience working with college students
- Excellent project management, strategic planning, and organizational skills.
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office software packages; Google Drive; and efficient use of the Internet.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Adept with Facebook and other social media platforms.
- Knowledge of financial aid process and guidelines preferred
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Must be available to work Thursday evenings once a week from October – April and for occasional special events
Hours: Part-Time, hours flexible (15-19 hours per week). Must be available Mondays, Thursday evenings from Oct-April and for occasional evening events.
Start Date: September 2019 – June 2020
To Apply: E-mail resume to [email protected]. Please indicate “Part-Time Career Services Assistant” in subject of email.
Girls Who Code Club Leader
Commonpoint Queens Central Queens in Forest Hills is looking for a technology student or professional to teach coding in our Girls Who Code club.
Girls Who Code is on a mission to close the gender gap in technology. Clubs are FREE after-school programs to introduce girls to coding and help them use computer science to change the world. Help us change the face of tech!
Club facilitator will be compensated on an hourly basis for 3 hours per week. Club will meet once a week on Thursdays from 6:30-8:30pm, 11/14/19 – 4/2/20.
- Teach High School students basic coding skills
- Guide students during hands-on coding activities and projects.
- Utilize/update Girls Who Code curriculum as needed
- Must pass a background check
- Comfortable teaching/interacting with High School students
- Passion to help and the ability to foster community within your Girls Who Code Club.
All materials from Girls Who Code are provided for FREE to the Club Facilitator, including:
- 120+ hours of curriculum, tutorials of all skill levels, and an online learning management system
- Program support, including a Clubs Success Specialist, Facilitator trainings and resources
- Access to field trips and grant opportunities upon availability
- Recruitment materials to help spread the news about your Club
To Apply: Email resume to [email protected] or for more information.
Nursery After School Activity Specialist
We are currently looking for activity specialists to staff our Nursery School Late Stay program. The Activity Specialist we are looking for should be experienced and knowledgeable in the following areas Visual Arts, Dance, Literacy, Music, Hebrew Instruction, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) and Cooking. Activity Specialists must be committed to positive youth development, who have a passion for what they do, and who are able to create and implement curriculum in an early childhood setting.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOB
- Model and uphold all Agency policies and procedures.
- Creation of a fun, nurturing, and educational environment through hands on learning opportunities.
- Creation and facilitation of age appropriate curriculum
- Responsible for maintaining classroom space in an organized and clean fashion.
- Quickly identify and seek to resolve conflicts and behavioral problems in consultation with the Site Director.
- Plan, organize and oversee varied activities with the support of Site Director, youth workers, and volunteers.
- Make periodic reports on program activities and evaluate participation, progress, and development of program participants.
- A minimum of two years of academic preparation in art or recreation discipline, or other equivalent training.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written. Ability to speak professionally to staff, participants, and parents.
- Demonstrated skills and competency as an instructor and artist.
- CPR/First Aid certification a plus
- Positive classroom management skills are a must
- Experience creating and facilitating relevant curriculum
- Effective organizational, stress and time management skills
Salary: Commensurate to prior experience
Approximate Start Date: September 2019 (through June 2020)
Hours: Part-Time, Afternoons
To Apply: Please email your résumé, as a PDF or Word Document only, to [email protected]. Please indicate “Nursery-School Specialist” in the subject line of the email. Your cover letter should explain why you would be an excellent Nursery- School Activity Specialist for Commonpoint Queens.
We will contact only those candidates who meet our criteria in order to arrange an interview. Due to the high volume of applicants interviews are conducted in groups.
Personal Trainer, Children and Youth
This position supports the work at Commonpoint Queens, in leading a non-profit organization committed to strengthening community through children and youth development and healthy living. Under the direction of the Health & Wellness Director this position’s primary goal is to develop and implement individual and group fitness programming as part of our new Kids Fit center.
Qualified candidates should be certified personal trainers who have experience working with children and be willing to be part of the process in building a kids fit gym program from the ground up. We seek candidates who can motivate children and youth to achieve their goals and reach their full potential. Potential candidates should also be comfortable in relating to parents and guardians of the clients. while encouraging them to adapt a healthy well balanced lifestyle
- Design and implement developmentally appropriate small group and individual fitness classes and sessions.
- Provide fitness education for safe and effective activity
- Motivate and encourage individuals to begin and continue healthy behaviors
- Achieve measurable results
- Engaging in prospecting activities to build clientele
- Hitting and exceeding sales and revenue goals
- Lead individual and small group programs
- Provide encouragement and expertise for the client support of their health and well being goals
- Experience in working with children/youth
- NCCA-accredited and/or recognized Personal Training Certificate
- CPR/AED and First Aid
- Monday through Friday afterschool and evenings Sundays
- Part-time up to 19 hours per week; varied hours
Salary: Commensurate with experience
How to apply: email cover letter and resume as a PDF word document to Nancy Amalfitano, Director of Health & Wellness, [email protected]
School Based SYEP Recruitment Specialist, Youth Employment
Commonpoint Queens Youth Workforce Department is comprised of a number of different programs serving individuals predominantly from 14-21 years old. The individual hired as the Part-Time Recruitment Specialist will be working with the following program: School Based Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) @Richmond Hill High School.
Youth & Adolescent Community Based Program
Commonpoint Queens is looking for a qualified Recruitment Specialist for the School Based Summer Youth Employment Program. The RS serves as the primary person in guiding program participants through the challenges that are involved in achieving SYEP enrollment. The RS will be responsible for addressing the needs of participants, understanding barriers to ensure successful completion of the School Based SYEP through counseling, case management, referral services & workshops while producing relevant recruitment information for each participant.
Under the supervision of the Program Director, the RS will adhere to Commonpoint Queens’ framework of a holistic (social, emotional, physical, and cognitive) Human Development Model of a family-supported, strength-focused, and hope-engendering practice. The Recruitment Specialist will report to School Based SYEP Program Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Recruitment Specialist will:
- Work closely with the RHHS college and career staff to produce the best results in recruitment & support services
- Enforce criteria for SYEP enrollment eligibility
- Maintain case files & reports to track student problems, progress and to recognize patterns in behavior.
- Conduct assessments, providing counseling & supportive referrals to help youth successfully transition into SYEP
- Conduct individual and group workshops in order to evaluate the needs and challenges of each potential enrollee in order to properly place them into a worksite
- Interact with students (and teachers) to assess the areas in which they might need assistance.
- Provide structure and engage youth in pro-social activities and behaviors
- Provide info for outside support services/ agencies to help students w/ economic, emotional/physical challenges.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required (in related field preferred)
- At least 1-year experience working with at-risk inner-city youth
- At least 1-year experience supervising a team & working in a school setting
- Astute knowledge of performance-based contracting.
- Workshop implementation experience (preferred)
- Adequate knowledge of youth workforce programming (SYEP, WLG, NDA, YAIP, for example)
- Part Time position
- $25/HR, 22 hours/week
- Potential for Elevated Position
- Looking to hire ASAP
If interested please email [email protected] with the subject line “SYEP- SB Recruitment Specialist” and please include your resume and cover letter.
Teen Travel Camp Director
The Teen Travel Camp is a camp for those campers in grades 7-9. The camp goes on trips every day including multiple late stays and 3-5 day overnights. The director is responsible for supervising these campers, plan trips, develop a schedule and facilitate each trip.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for following and enforcing all guidelines, set forth in the Commonpoint Manual.
- Responsible for supervising and controlling campers and staff participating in Teen Travel.
- Required to plan trips, meals, accommodations, attractions and travel for all late stay and overnight trips.
- Required to take attendance each day, mandate parents sign in/out, and bring along camper forms and binder.
- Responsible for payment, organization and group direction on each field trip.
- Expected to turn in credit card, money and receipts daily.
- Attend any training sessions required by the agency.
- Expected to demonstrate effective communication skills while being able to problem solve and think quickly on his/her feet.
- Maintain a safe environment for participants and staff.
- Administer first aid when necessary during camp hours.
- Develop and maintain good relationship with campers, parents, supervisors & staff.
Other Job Duties:
This job may include work in other areas of an organization, involvement in professional associations, or perhaps work related to the broader vision of camping.
This job description should list persons and departments within a larger organization if there is such. It could list relationships with local, regional, and national professional or related organizations and businesses.
Most often day camp directors would be proficient in computer skills and related word processing, data management, and Internet computer software. In addition most are required to have knowledge of some maintenance, office and kitchen equipment as well as ability to drive different vehicles.
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Previous experience working in day camp or travel camp with children between the ages of 11-17 and adults with developmental disabilities preferred. Previous experience with day camp and/travel camp pr
- Current first aid and CPR
- Training and experience in leading overnight trips.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of youth and youth development; skills needed in planning programs and setting schedule. Knowledge of human resource management, staff supervision, maintenance, transportation issues, budget and finances, and program activities specific to the camp’s population would be desirable.
This position would require the ability to listen to others, observe others actions, read text and information, comprehend instructions and manuals, physical ability to move about the camp property in various environmental conditions. Staff may be required to work long periods outside. The person will be required to be able to lift and turn and carry 25 pounds. May be required to work during various weather conditions, including hot temperatures and rain.
To Apply: Please email [email protected] with the subject line “Teen Travel Camp Director” and please include your resume and cover letter.
USA Swim Team Head Coach, Commonpoint Queens' Central Queens
Commonpoint Queens at Central Queens in Forest Hills is looking for a Head Coach for the Aquaflames Swim Team. Under the direction of the Aquatics Director, the swim team Head Coach will be responsible for running the daily operations of the USA sanctioned Swim Team. They will need to manage the team in accordance with the rules set forth by both USA swimming and facility regulations. The Head Coach will provide direct leadership, instruction and motivation for swim team participants. The Aquaflames Head Coach must be a dynamic and passionate individual, devoted to the team. This person must be able to grow the athlete’s self confidence and foster leadership abilities while pushing the team to reach their goals. The Head Coach is responsible for creating and maintaining a safe environment for all participants. The Head Coach must attend all swim meets and team functions throughout the year. The Head Coach position is a full year part time position running 16-18 hours per week plus occasional Sunday Swim Meets.
SKILLS AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- ASCA Level 2 certiﬁcation or above strongly preferred
- 3-5 years competitive coaching experience as a Head Coach.
- Candidates must have excellent communication, organizational and leadership skills.
- Must have the ability to work responsibly with minimal supervision
- Must have flexibility to travel, work weekends and evenings when necessary.
- Create a season outline containing practice schedules, meet schedules, workout goals, and important events to present to the Aquatics Director
- Provide constant feedback to participants to facilitate improvement.
- Initiate, develop and maintain positive relationships with participants and parents.
- Record and maintain attendance records.
- Set up the facility and equipment, and store the equipment upon completion.
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor or the person responsible for those items at your site.
- Maintain a positive attitude and act in a professional manner when interacting with patrons, program participants, and other staff at all times.
- Follow all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to managing visitors and guests at our facilities.
- Plan and organize annual swim calendar including targeted swim meets swimmer bonding and development activities as well as family engagement opportunities.
Potential Days and Times:
- Monday 4:00-8:00pm
- Tuesday 4:00-7:00pm
- Wednesday 4:00-8:00pm
- Thursday 4:00-7:00pm
- Sunday 7:00-9:00pm
- Some Sundays 12:30-2:00pm and Swim Meets
How to apply: Please email a cover letter and résumé, to Lior Harpaz, Aquatics Director, Health & Wellness, at [email protected] , please indicate “Head Coach” in the subject of the email.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Commonpoint Queens is an equal opportunity employer/program.
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
For further assistance contact TDD/ TTY at 1800-662-1220.